Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mother of Boys


I went to the Orthodontist with Connor today and was reminded of a poem that I wrote a few years ago. The orthodontist and his wife have 5 boys and he asked if I ever cried when we found out about any of them. Of coarse I had to say that I did and it made me think of my poem.
I love my boys. I love my crazy life, and I love being a Mother of Boys!

(This was written in 2008, when I was pregnant with my 4th son)
So I was laying in bed and not sleeping, again, and started thinking, "What was I thinking?". "Can I really handle another baby? And not just another baby, another BOY!" "How did I become the Mother to all boys?" And from that this poem came. Now keep in mind that this was written between 2 and 3am, so don't get too critical.

A Mother of Boys

I don't like dirt, and constant loud noise.
So how did I become a Mother of all boys?
Our laundry is colorful; blue, green and red,
But this time I was hoping for pink or purple instead.

I always imagined I'd have one or two girls,
In her special "spin dress", dark hair full of curls.
I bought little outfits, hair clips and bows.
Fabric for quilts that for her I would sew.

Then the day came, and we saw on the screen,
There would be no pink, just more red, blue and green.
"How could this be?", I thought in my mind.
That is definitely not what I thought they would find.

I cried many tears, and for days it was rough.
I packed away dreams with the pink girly stuff.
Then one day I realized the fun and the joys,
That would come to a Mother of 4 handsome boys.

I was already blessed as a mother with three.
How much more fun would one more boy be?
We won't break the bank buying everything new.
I've saved the boys clothes, and all their church shoes.

I'll still be the Queen of the castle here,
And the first girl they loved, till their teenage years.
The three boys I have are the best I could wish for,
And I know that will be with sweet boy number four.

I can now look back, and often I think,
"Why was I so set on purple and pink?"
I would not trade money for the constant loud noise,
That comes with the blessing of being a mother of boys!

1 comment:

  1. That is so cute!!! And you are very right about how special little boys are to their mommy's. I wouldn't trade the little monster I have for the world!

    ReplyDelete