Sunday, June 19, 2011

Daddy, I love you!



Today is a hard day. We should have been spending the evening with a house full of family, but due to me still not feeling 100%, we canceled the party and my family is gathering at my sisters home. Not much of a Happy Father's Day for John either. His gift did not arrive in time for today, and I wasn't thinking clear enough this week to plan a special meal or anything. He grilled burgers and I made a dessert that was way too rick for me, but the boys liked it.
I think I am feeling better. Not coughing so much and just a little congested still. We went to my parents last night after pictures to give my Dad his Father's Day gift. When I gave it to him, "Whens Father's Day?"
My Dad is sick. He has dementia. It is so hard to see him disappear right be for your eyes. This morning when he woke up he told my mom that he like the picture he got, but could not remember who gave it to him. He didn't remember going to church this afternoon when I asked if the meeting was nice. I could here my mom in the background reminding him that he had gone to my sister's church. I can't imagine what my Mother is going through. I have been crying off and on since taking to my Dad today. This is just happening so fast. It is hard for him to walk and noises bother him even more now. I know it is no fun for him to come to our house with the craziness for 5 active boys. I love my dad so much and hate to watch him become someone so different from who he really is. He use to be so active, and at times, a real grumpy old man. That use to bother me, but I would take back that grumpy old man in an instant. Time is so precious, you never know what is around to corner to great you. Love your Father's today, appreciate who they are and keep those memories safe. There may be a time that you need them.
I love you Daddy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad Jamie. I have no words of encouragement but just know you and your family are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty heart breaking to see someone become someone else. My thoughts are with you guys as you struggle to deal with this new person. Love you.

    ReplyDelete