Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dentist, Doctor, and Denial

Every 6 months we go to the dentist, and every 6 months I am reminded of a few more things that I am not keeping up on. As Matthew is getting examined by the dentist he is asked if he is brushing twice a day. It is at that point that I realize that he does not only lie to me, but he also lies to other grown-ups. I then tell the dentist it is more like twice a month. Luckily he had no cavities, but I was already starting to feel like a "great" mom.
Then it was time to pin down Michael and look in his mouth. We used a new technique and had him pinned at the bottom of the chair with his head hanging over the side. It sounds pretty cruel, but it was sure easy to look at the top teeth as he screamed. Okay, it wasn't that bad, but when the dentist asked if Michael was brushing his teeth, well let's just say that that question (and the answer) probably hurt more than the actual exam.
I left the office vowing to do better, and honestly, I probably will (At least for the first few days).
Then off to Jakey's 6 month appointment. A few shots, a little tugging in his "Swimsuit area", and a little pink eye and we are feeling super right about now. I am just glad we have a doctor that is so nice and doesn't make me feel like I am falling short on everything, even when I am.
Even with all of this today, I still think I am a pretty good mom. I mean, I did put dinner in the crock pot before I left, and I do plan on giving Jacob his fluoride and multivitamin prescription the doctor gave me. Well, that is, if I remember.

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel too bad about those fluoride & multivitamin things. It took me years to remember. Now that I have them, they stay on my counter and the kids remind me (most days).

    I figure if I survived missing stuff, they won't know what they're missing in the process of my forgetfulness. When they have kids of their own, I'm sure they'll be writing the same things.

    But hands down, you're a pretty amazing mom.

    ReplyDelete