Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A New Smile for Connor

Before

It's all good!

Not Fun

After

Poor Connor. We went to the dentist for our 6 month cleanings and he had some concerns about his baby permanent teeth not coming in. See, Connor has only lost 8 teeth, 7 of which I had to pull out because his adult teeth were growing in behind! So I took him to the orthodontist and they suggested we pull 8 and then when those come in, we will pull 4 more. His roots on his baby teeth are not dissolving and causing his permanent teeth to come in at an angle. Not Good!
So Friday we went back to the dentist to have the 8 teeth removed. It was so sad. It looked like he was being tortured with the bright light shining down and the dentist with his plastic gloves and pliers! Well, it took longer than anticipated and we could not believe the roots. Most of them were just partially dissolved and two of his eye teeth were not dissolved at all.
The next few hours were pretty miserable, changing gauze every 15 minutes, keeping up on the Motrin, and trying to eat and drink with all the extra holes. I felt really bad for Connor. We were going to go get his Xbox that he has been saving for after his appointment, but he was in no condition to go anywhere but home. I told him I would go out and get it as soon as I got home and got everyone else settled.
As the day went on, we realized that Connor would not be able to speak at church as he was asked to and I called explained the situation. When I was finally able to leave the house, I saw our old Bishop and his wife at Target. They had also been asked to speak along with Connor. They had heard he was not going to speak after all and I told him the story. That Sunday in his talk, he said that Connor had gone through some pretty drastic measure to get out of speaking. He also said he had heard that speaking was like pulling teeth, but he would never have thought to pull 8 to get out of it! It was pretty funny.
Well, Connor is doing much better now. He still struggles to chew food and has lost 2 pounds because of it. He is already under weight, so I think we are going to have to load him up on ice cream and half and half! Connor has a lisp and we make fun of him everyday. We did give him fare warning that we would. He has been a good sport about it. I just hope for his sake the permanent teeth come in soon. I can't help but feel a little bit to blame. I had to have my teeth pulled when I was 16 for that same reason. My poor kids.

This shirt made us laugh. We got it for free from one of our races and thought it was perfect for Connor and his "New Smile!"

No comments:

Post a Comment