Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Bone Marrow Biopsy

Well, today went pretty good. Not quite as well as I had hoped. John and I sat in the prep room watching TV for an hour and I finally asked John to see if they forgot about me. Shortly after that the OR nurse came in to walk me through the procedure. When he said that I would be given a sedative that would keep me awake, I about burst into tears. That is NOT what I had signed up for! I wanted to be put completely out and now I was feeling scared. Well, there was nothing I could do about it so he wheeled me back and into the CAT scan/OR room. I was told to lie face down on the table and hold still as I went back and forth through the scanner. They were looking for a good spot to go in for the bone. I was saying a little prayer the whole time that I would be able to get through this and not freak out.  I was then hooked up to the IV and they started the sedation. I felt the small prick of the first needle that was to numb the site and then the needle to retrieve the bone. I started to feel pain and they gave me more of the sedative and I really don't remember much after that.
After being wheeled into recovery, where I would be for the next 2 hours, I was so tired I just slept off and on. I had some food, was given aftercare orders, and vitals were taken. When it was time to go, I was able to walk out to the car and go home. I have been home for about 4 hours and have had ice on my back, and slept most of the evening. It has been a crazy day, and the pain is tolerable. Right now I am doing well with just Tylenol and an ice pack. It is a little painful if I get up and walk around, so I am keeping pretty still. I look forward to hearing from the doctor in the next few days and getting the results for today's procedure.

No comments:

Post a Comment