Sunday, August 5, 2012

Bittersweet Baptism day

Almost 8am and looking good!

 So excited!

 Our little circle of love
Thanks ot those that came
 Happy family
 The after party



 Agift fom Grandma Simms
 A card from Aunt Julie

What a great weekend we had. Saturday morning Matthew was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Matthew has been looking forward to his baptism day for weeks. We have been talking about it, and preparing him for this special day. John and Matthew went early to the church to get ready. When I got there with the rest of the boys I found John and Matthew near the bathroom to give them their towels. Matthew was just beaming! He told John how happy and excited he was to be baptized. He looked so cute in his little white jumpsuit. Matthew had told me that when he went with his dad to get his clothes, he got the smallest one, and it fit perfect. We all went into the chapel and John and Matthew sat on the front row while the rest of us sat a few rows back. At one point the kids being baptized got to stand up and turn around to see all the family and friends that were there that love them. Matthew just smiled. When it was time for our ward to go back I got to sit next to Matthew while another boys went first. When it was Mathew’s turn he practically jumped out of his set. The kids gathered in front of the font and Michael couldn’t help but say hi to his dad. John got a little choked up as he began the pray, but after that everything went smoothly. While John and Matthew got changed we went to the cultural hall and waited for them to return. When Matthew came in he looked so happy and handsome! Riley said, “He’s still wet!”Matthew was the last to be confirmed and again John said the prayer. The circle was very small compared to other blessings in the past. We were so grateful to have Grandpa McKenzie, Jerry and Bro Daines, our wonderful home teacher, able to join John and Bro Syal for the blessing. We took a few pictures outside and then back to the house for muffins, fruit and juice. We were so thankful that Aunt Peggy, Aunt Karen, Grandpa and Grandma McKenzie came to support us on John’s parents’ side. Jerry, Brennan, Gabe and Riley came and stayed afterward so the kids could play together, which was great. Grandma Simms and Julie came from my side. I was sad that my Dad wasn’t able to come, but grateful that Julie was in Utah and came down from Logan for the day. Overall it was a wonderful day. Matthew wanted to stay in his suit all day, but we finally talked him into taking it off. He just felt so special in it and didn’t want the feeling to end. Today Connor, John and Nathan bore their testimonies about the baptism. It is pretty amazing how Matthew’s special day touched everyone so much. I love my family and am so grateful for the important steps that they are taking.

Unfortunately, there was quite a bit of sadness that came with the day as well. It was very hard for me to not have my father there, or any priesthood holder from my side for that matter. My mom really tried to get him up and there, but he just didn’t understand what he was supposed to be doing. I think this was the first time that I realized that my dad was really missing something special and important in mine and my child’s life. I know he wouldn’t understand what he was doing, and he would be confuse, but reality is not always easy to face, and the reality is, is that my dad hasn’t been here for a long time. I didn’t hear from my brothers, and only got an email from my sister in Texas, and a call from one of Julie’s girls. On John’s side, neither of his siblings nor his parents came. We knew that Nana and Papa would not be there, but it was disappointing to John not have his brother or sister there for him. We got emails from family that said they would come and didn’t, but that is always to be expected. If Grandpa and Jerry weren’t there, we would have had no family to act as witness or to be in the pray circle. We are so grateful for those that were willing to share the day with us to show Matthew, John and I their love a support. It was truly a wonderful day for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment